Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 1 - HOMECOMING

This is my RPG character (see my avatar). 

Chapter 1 - HOMECOMING

Chapter 1 - HOMECOMING
AUTHOR's NOTE: I am developing the story of how Aria met up with various characters and leading up to where she now fits into the Star Wars galaxy. When I started with her, she had no history at all. She was just a SW "Former Pirate" template that I modified from the 6D system. 

Well now she has a history: her mother's (Ariasha) history is only hinted at in this story, and her father's (Reissem) history is described more openly. I wrote up quite a detailed background on her mother in a separate segment.  Bear with me as I edit this; I had it saved to different servers and because it was getting so long, it started to get errors when I saved it (too much spacing, etc). So I have copied & pasted it, but it's currently all de-html'd now: it's all in one big clump. I have a lot of editing to do. In the meantime I am not sure how fast I can work on this or not. But I will peck at it now and again. Please feel free to interject or give helpful comments, I am always open to ideas.? 

HOMECOMING
Two suns scorched down on a lone figure at the base of a dune.  The figure straightened and removed a shawl, revealing a her face.  After wiping copious amounts of sweat from her forehead, she gazed out across the immense horizon, the hazy line wavering in the heat.  She then bent to continue her task.

Ariasha had almost finished connecting the last of the five refrigerator cylinders that had to be replaced when she dimly heard a voice over the sound of the welding. She lifted her visor. “Mother!” A tall, youthful girl, with her long braid wildly undulating, ran up the slow rise. “Mother!”

“What is it, Aria? What are you doing running all the way out here by yourself!?” The woman winced as she stood up, and shielded her eyes from the suns with a tremulous hand. “Can’t you see I’m trying to fix this vaporator? I’ve got enough to worry about... ” 

“Sorry, Mother, I couldn’t find any neighbours - and besides, I wanted to tell you! There was a message today from dad! He’s gonna be here tonight!!” She said breathlessly.

Aria’s mother shut off the torch.“What did you say? He’s coming? Tonight?” She took off her hat to release an assortment of gathered braids.
Aria nodded excitedly, “C’mon Mother, let’s go back and clean up the house!”

“How am I going to be ready in time?” Ariasha fussed. She fumbled to pick up her equipment and threw a large duffel bag to Aria. “Here throw this in the ‘speeder and let’s go!”

* * *

Despite their speedy return, there was little time left to clean. Reissem Gunnir would be home any minute. Aria hastily shoved blankets and clothing in the washing room, and went to straighten up the modest visiting area. Meanwhile her mother cleaned up the kitchen and started supper. The tantalising smell of cooked meat and spices was floating through the air when they both heard the door slam.

“I’m HOOOOME, girls!” bellowed a familiar deep voice from the front of the house.

Aria made it to the door first. Reissem dropped all his belongings on the floor and extended his arms.

“Father!” she tried to wrap her arms around his wide shoulders and laughed. “I’m so glad you’re home! Tell me what you’ve been doing. Tell me what adventures you’ve been having while me and Mother slave away down here!”

“Plenty of time for that later," he replied and cupped his hands around her face, “You’ve grown again?” He put his hands on his daughter's shoulders, then grabbed her by the hand and twirled her around as she laughed. “You must’ve gained at least an inch in height since I last saw you. You are starting to look more and more like your mother... Speaking of which, where is - ?"

“Here I am, Re!” his wife answered, coming toward the steps to the landing.

“Ariasha!” He whispered hoarsely.

Did his smile waver just now? wondered Aria. I guess Mother didn’t limp quite so bad last time he was here. I guess it’s been so gradual for me that I didn’t notice, either, until now.

Reissem stepped down from the landing to his wife and pulled her into an embrace. “How have you been, my love?”

“Not bad, Re. Better now,” she shrugged inside of his arms. “Are you hungry?”

“Am I hungry?” He threw back his head and laughed heartily. “I am! I’m just as hungry to eat as I was hungry to see my family! There’s just one thing, though...”

The two women looked at each other. Aria’s eyes widened, while her mother’s narrowed slightly. “I’ll show you,” he said. He went to the door and pointed at it. “Do you have room for one more?”

Ariasha nodded. “Certainly,” she smiled. “Is it one of your crew mates?”

“Yes. Now, don’t be alarmed, “ he said as he opened the door a crack. Then he opened it all the way.

A growling Wookiee filled the doorway...

Aria and her mother jumped and grabbed onto each other.

“I told you not to be alarmed, “ Reissem laughed, calming their astonishment. “She’s quite friendly. In fact, she’s adopted me!”

“Adopted?!” The girls chorused.

“Well, you see,” struggled Reissem, “That is... Well, I’ll tell you all about it over some of that delicious supper I smell cooking!”  

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment