Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Message From Afar

The everlasting explorations of Lyoko, witnessed and partaken by an unexpected newcomer and exchange student to Kadic College. X.A.N.A.'s creations polluting the Real and Lyoko World, causing disasers worldwide. Will the one extra member be of use?

Chapter 2 - Message From Afar

Chapter 2 - Message From Afar


Chapter Two

Message From Afar


At dinnertime that day, Jeremie had told us all that he was going to check on Aelita at the factory, whilst everyone else worked on their essay for Mr Fumet, their History teacher. Yumi, being the only one not assigned for the thesis, had exited school for her lunch.


Lastly, I, being new, was unable to write and finish the essay, seeing as I had `no knowledge towards the subject'. The English Civil War? I came from England…what did he take me for anyway? So I decided to pay a visit to Jeremie and Aelita, after all, he did promise me being able to meet her, even if it wasn't in person.

I strode down the path to the oncoming forest, and swiftly examining the whereabouts of myself and whether any onlooker was staring my way, I came to the conclusion I was in the clear. So I dived into the forest - metaphorically - I tore through the assortment of branches, logs and leaves that came my way. I kept my arms outstretched before me, just in case I were to run into anything, and squinted my eyes in case anything flew in.

You had to be careful…you never know what could happen. Err…well, it is a little worse in the World of Lyoko, but…err…forget it.

I came into a clearing, and as I did, my eyes scanned the area. In a matter of half-seconds, my pupils came to focus on a metal trapdoor on the ground, and jogging over, I leant down and withdrew back as I pulled it up by the handle. The handle was cold, and when the trapdoor opened, a gust of frosty air breezed against my face, causing my hair to sway upwards.

Strange.

I gave a quizzical look before entering, pulling the door back down to the floor and climbing down the ladders to the subway. There, already waiting, were a set of three skateboards, a bike and roller blades. Only God knew why they had a bike there…weren't the forms of transport enough already? Shaking this thought from my mind, I selected the skateboard nearest to me, to try it out for the first time. Yes, I had been on one before, but pretty much fell off every time throughout my attempt.

I lifted the board up, and threw it securely onto its wheels upon the icy-looking concrete. I watched it roll ever so slightly across the floor, and in tune to it slowing down; I ran at it and lifted a foot to its surface. This speeded it up. I wobbled backwards at the sudden speed, but kept balanced as I kicked against the floor with my other foot. Hey, I could get used to this!

The same chilly manner of the air blew, this time, strongly against me, as with each kick from my right foot, the skateboard sped faster and faster down the tunnel. This was easy…if I'd had known I was already a natural for skating, I'd have started long ago. But I spoke too soon. And coming closer was a curving turn.

If I had anticipated the fact I had to turn to get to the Factory, I probably would have gone by roller blades, as usual, but it was too late now to go back and get ready. Nonetheless, I was nearly there anyway, and turning back would be a complete waste of time, so reluctantly, I continued.

Depending on my memory to tell me how my friends told me to turn, I leant my weight against the right-hand-side of the plank with wheels and miraculously, it turned right round the corner. Wow, magic.

Now already learned my lesson on skating, I rapidly performed a half-run on the skateboard, and zipped down the Subway as if someone were following me. And that was exactly the feeling I had. I shrugged the eerie sensation off, but just to make sure, I hastened up the journey.

With scarcely any distance left, I leapt off the board on both feet, and landed just a metre away from the ladder. As I climbed, the roaring reverberations of the wheels rolling against the rough Earth groaned aloud, continuing the pattern it made when moving. Kinda' like a train…I'm sure you've heard it by now. If not…well…I advise a trip to London or something by Train.

I thrust my hands against the new trapdoor, and in opening it, I came to rest my eyes on a gargantuan building, complete with polymerised titanium structured walls and doors. I jogged up to the door, and noticing decoder, typed in the seven-digit number to gain access. Simultaneously the gate lifted up, and I walked through into the elevator.

I clicked the button that mentioned silently `Top Floor', and as I did, the entryway blocked me off from the rural region outside. A slight vibration filled the miniscule, square lift and received the strange sensation that I was shrinking. Once the vibrations stopped, and the room stopped at a halt, the doors reopened, and I walked through.

I soon came to another highly secured entry, this time with a fingerprint-scanner. Greaaatt…Jeremie was the only one able to work the computer that was told to be inside the door, and he hadn't added me as an admitted being yet. So…I did what any polite person would do - I knocked.

I waited, but no answers came, so I knocked once more…and still no answer. So I came to the conclusion Jeremie was either feeling dodgy about who might be knocking, or he couldn't hear. So I shouted: “Jeremie! Open up! It's me - Scarlet!”

I held my breath to listen to even the slightest of murmurs from the other side of the door, but when none came again, I decided it was enough. So I kicked the door, causing the large frame to shudder and squabble loudly. Ultimately, the gates opened themselves automatically.

Jeremie was nowhere to be seen. The high-tech mainframes were still in place, still functional and processing at this very moment. The seat was in the centre of the room, nearest to me, except an extra door on the opposite side of the room was left oddly ajar. I'd never even seen this door before, so I knew not where it led.

I shouted again, in attempt to grasp Jeremie's hearing: “Jeremie! Where are you dude?”

And that was when it hit me. I could check out the world of Lyoko and meet Aelita…all I had to do was comprehend how to work the computers and hey presto. I walked slowly towards the seat, and sat in it. Instantaneously, it lit up on the armrests, and swung around the room, reaching higher altitudes of the room. It halted abruptly, making me jerk somewhat to the side, and in tune to that, the computer screen blipped on, lighting my face.

A search bar opened up on the screen, and by now, I was at a loss for words and knowledge. What the hell was I supposed to search? Aelita? Ah well, I tried it, so I quickly typed my fingers against the keyboard before me, and spelt her name. As I commanded, images of Lyoko and Aelita came up. Nearly every picture was the same: a half-hearted smile, her head tilted to aside, and her pink hair affray. But the thing was, there were fifteen thousand pages of the same picture.

I noticed this as I clicked `next page' with the mouse each time round. Weird. Who would take fifteen thousand snapshots of the same person in the same pose? Ahem…apparently, Jeremie. All I needed now was the button that pixelized people and I'd be there in no time—

“Scarlet! Get down from there…I let you in `cause I considered you'd be resistible to inspecting the central processing units.” My focus shot startled towards the door, which was slightly ajar, and in the doorway, stood the same blonde-haired, geek-like boy whom I knew as my friend. I motioned myself so that the chair would spin to the side, and when it did, I slid myself off, landing firmly on the ground, hunched over.

I quickly stood, and smiled mischievously, but weakly.

“Uh…I thought you were…err…dead or something.” I muttered, attempting in trying to take the situation off Jeremie's mind. I resumed. “Say, what's with the new built-in refrigerator? You gotta fever or are you just weird, or what?” My eyes skipped side to side in their sockets, and I quickly added, “no offence.”

“None taken. Anyway, listen, I've got a favour to ask you—”

A head-splitting bleep sounded, echoing off the walls and interrupting my blonde haired friend. He hurried over to the chair - now in its starting position, low enough for someone to sit down in - and it circled round to the computer I was at previously. My heart sank. Did I make a mistake?

Almost as if he had read my mind, Jeremie said: “Don't worry, it wasn't your fault. I…” he broke off into silence.

“What?” I enquired, looking quizzically towards him as his silence replied to me. The only answer I received in turn was a somewhat terrified gawp at his computer, and an eerie stillness from Jeremie. I didn't understand, so I spoke up once more. “Jeremie, what is it?”

“N - nothing. It doesn't matter - doesn't concern you - I mean. It doesn't matter.” He retreated from the computer he was staring at after switching it off, and wheeled round on his chair to the ground once more, then stood to face me. “Scarlet, I've got a favour to ask you.”

“And what might that be?” I asked, trying to sound less `well-duh!' about it than I already did.

He replied: “I want you to take the bike in the Subway to the centre of town, and pick up a package for me. Can you? I mean if your not too busy…but if you are I can always—”

I listened to Jeremie natter on, trying to make the conversation between he and I sound less selfish on his behalf. It was almost as if he were nervous, and the Jeremie I knew, was never nervous…even if he was a techno-geek and one of the main bully-victims.

So I spoke up to prevent him from feeling bad about the way he was speaking, or whatever. “Sure I'll do it. What shop is the package at? And am I allowed to peek inside the box et cetera before I bring it back?”

No!” Jeremie exclaimed pleadingly. I raised a brow at his sudden outburst. “Sorry. Just bring it back and I'll fill you and the others in later. Don't worry. Anyway, it's in the Post Office…I'd like you to take this.” Jeremie handed me a piece of paper with words written untidily across it. I looked up at him, and he answered. “Just give this to the person at the desk and they'll bring the package to you. If it doesn't work, say it belongs to a person called Jeremie Belpois and that the ID number is: 936583 okay?”

“Okay.”

“Don't go now. Go after school…wouldn't want you getting into detention…after all, X.A.N.A. might start up, and we may need your help. From what I've seen on the battlefield, you're a natural.” Jeremie complimented me, smiling slightly.

“Just like the skateboard then…” I said to myself quietly.

“Wha?”

“Oh nothing. Anyway, Jeremie? Mind answering some questions for me?” I asked, and he nodded vaguely. I took a deep breath and explained my question. “What was with the fifteen thousand or what have you on the computer of Aelita? I mean, they're all the same. And you've been acting strange since I've arrived here - something up? And only an idiot wouldn't notice the freezing cold temperature in here. Not to be rude or anything but you're beginning to sound like a hermit.”

“Uh…” Jeremie hesitated, flinching slightly, but answered: “It's nothing, honest. It just so happens the heating's gone, I was studying for a test and well. The Aelita thing - um…”

I need not ask, I simply smirked and muttered: “don't worry, your secret is safe with me.” And at this sentence, he smiled nervously. He showed me to the exit, gave me his farewells and I was, once again, off down the Subway on the skateboard. At least I had gotten the hang of skating now…but the thing was, I was new to this place, and I didn't known where exactly the Post Office was around here.

My bad…God I'm forgetful - I mean, who forgets to ask for directions when they're new?

I shrugged it off. It didn't matter to me much. I already understood what a town centre was, and had been to loads of them in England. Busy place, shopping markets, large shopping centre, tall buildings. I just hoped France was like that.

When I reached the end of the tunnel, I began to have trouble with lifting the bike out of it. For one, it was greatly heavy, and two, I was worried about whether anyone would pass by. So I opened the trapdoor firstly, took the bike by the handles and body, then poked my head out from inside the Subway.

My arms strained painfully, keeping the form of transport firmly in my hands without dropping. And as I wrenched it out of the gap in the floor, my hands became sweaty and slippery, as I always dropped it. When eventually I made it up undetected, I tossed the Bike as far away from me as possible, shut the door and lay, resting, sprawled across the grass.

A light breeze blew by me, and then scarcely, I heard a muffled, ringing sound of the end-of-dinner bell going off. I groaned as I motioned to my feet, and left the Bike hidden under a mass of cut grass nearby. Although it wasn't the best of hiding places, it would have to do, and as I ran, remembered that I had forgotten the Art homework. Ah well…

—lCLl—

After the final bell for end of school sounded throughout Kadic, my friends and I brought ourselves to The Factory, where I left them to hang out or whatever, whilst I went to retrieve the Bike and bring back the package for Jeremie. When I found the bike, it was in perfect shape, and in exactly the same spot as I had hidden it before hand. All I needed now, was for the trip to the post office to go smooth, and I'd be coming back to the school in no time flat.


The only problem was the matter of being caught out of school, and getting lost halfway there, so in case of emergency, I took my mobile phone. And just to make sure I did not forget my objective - I am very forgetful - I wrote down a reminder on the phone.

I pulled the bike to its `feet' and sat on it, pushed my right foot against the pedal and it began to move. It wasn't exactly the most comfortable of transportation, but it had to make do…I wasn't exactly going to get better luxury on a scooter. As I tore through the forest to save time, trees came at me from all angles, and with each turn, I swiftly had to shift the handlebars to aside to avoid crashing.

When eventually I reached the gateway, I found the hole in it, which Odd had explained to me as his own doing, for emergency getaways about a month ago. I leapt sideways off the bike, grabbed hold of it before the wheels took it further, and jogged swiftly with it by my side, to the gate. Firstly, I thrust the tandem through the entry, causing it to wedge slightly, but using my strength, I managed to get it out on the other side. I followed suit.

Once on the other side, I positioned myself aloft it, and rode down the passageway towards the college exit. Thank god and all…it had been a while since I breathed non-school air, and finally escaping this place was a perfect point to start.

Just before I departed from class an hour ago, I had asked Yumi the directions to the post office, as she was always wandering about the city, seeing as she did not live in Kadic, but lived with her parents instead. If I remembered correctly, all I had to do was go down the road from school, take a first right, then left, go straight down until the end of the road, take a right, right again, and the post office would be just around the corner.

And that was exactly what I did. The traffic was quite bad, especially as it was rush hour, and traffic jams were arising every here and there, but with my swift reflexes and remarkable awareness, I managed to cycle all the way there without a stop. At the end of my journey, I heaved a great sigh, and - using the padlock on the bike Jeremie had loaned me - I locked it up against a nearby bar.

Yumi had been true to her word - my destination was just around the corner…literally. I turned right, and began to walk quite hasty, avoiding the mad crowd rushing about. It was getting quite cold, and the long, gothic, baggy pants I was wearing didn't help - they were billowing about frantically thanks to the gale force winds surrounding me. The chains on them were clashing with each other, creating loud, metallic noises as I walked. Eventually, I reached the post office.

I barged against the door, becoming aware as to how heavy it was, but got through, ceasing the wind to blow any longer. I motioned gradually towards the front desk, ready to put into practise the script I had been rehearsing in my mind along the way, when something - or should I say someone - caught my eye. And I don't mean in the good way.

Just by the desk I was heading for, stood a girl, round about my height, who was wearing a maroon bandanna, which covered the sapphire, radiant hair beneath. The first impression I got off her, was `attention seeker', as her clothes were the latest out, which were each set in bright, luminous colours, such as green, red, pink and yellow. Black bike gloves were worn over her hands, four spikes emerging from the knuckles on both hands, and just down her arm, were multicoloured bands of all shapes and sizes. She wore sandals, which crested a priceless-looking gemstone, on her face, was a pink tattoo of a heart and around her neck, was a sapphire, beaded necklace.

Azure - my sister. (Yes, that's her name).

Sure, all of my family, excluding my dad, had moved over to France, but seeing Azure again after all this time, after finally ridding of her for good, was a real shock. The second my eyes met her, she turned and saw me. Her face lit up in a way, like she was yearning for something or me to say hi at least, but I blinked, and the second I did so the expression vanished.

And then, she did what I dreaded most of all - spoke to me. You see, my sister caused a fire in our old house (and I mean our old, old house. Now the one we moved from to France). The fire trapped my dad inside, as Azure, my mum and I made it to safety…once the fire brigades doused the outburst of flames, he was nowhere to be found. The only thing I remembered of him was his pleading for help before he passed on.

And here she was - the mass murderer herself. I couldn't imagine how my mother was coping with Azure; especially after the depression she had caused our family.

“Hey…err…Scarlet.” Azure muttered, showing just how obviously shy she was. “Been a while eh? Remember when we were in England?”

“All I remember, is what you did, and for that, I hate you.” I replied, gritting my teeth as I walked up to the desk. A woman was sat there, and once she noticed me, I started. “Do you have a package for Jeremie Belpois? Here's the receipt…” I handed the paper over that Jeremie had given to me, and the woman took it.

She said something I didn't understand, probably in French, and walked away with the paper. Did she say okay or what? Suddenly, I was interrupted abruptly.

“So…how's Kadic College? Made any new friends or are you still a loner?” my sister enquired, putting her usual sarcastic smile on her face. I chose to ignore, and waited, watching through the pane of glass where the woman had once been, for the package to arrive.

The visit to town hadn't been all that bad - and by that I mean nearly not so bad. The weather may have been blue, and my sister may have shown up, but I was getting some fresh air, and it felt like I was a new person. Sure, it wasn't great, and if this was my new life, I certainly wouldn't have enjoyed it much, but it was fine.

“God, what's your problem? That accident was over four years ago! Don't tell me you haven't gotten over it? Mum and me have, everyone else in our family has, except for you? C'mon, at least give a sign that you can talk.” Azure demanded. I was now aware, that she was becoming impatient…my sister never was the type to wait, even if it was three minutes.

I ignored her `announcement' once again, and when the woman returned with a large box, wrapped nearly in brown, waterproof paper, I took it and began to exit the building. But she prevented me from doing so, my standing before me, and blocking my path to the door.

“You see your sister after three months or so, and you can't even be arsed to say hello?” Azure exclaimed, gaining attention from half of the people in the room, but still she continued (told you she was an attention-seeker). “Just so you know, I haven't exactly been having a nice sunny day in Spain either! I've been stuck in an adoption centre for—”

What?” I asked through gritted teeth. My temper was getting the better of me, and when I was around Azure, my temper tended to reach extreme heights. For one, she was annoying, and two she was irritating. Wait - they're both the same things…my bad. Oh yeah, and third…I HATED her.

“You heard me.”

“What do you mean you've been stuck in an adoption centre!”

This was when it hit me: “She's dead.”

A dreaded, horrible sensational pit dropped in my stomach, my features, from my point of view, were somewhat muddled up. I didn't know what to think. Was Azure telling the truth, or lying to merely seek her attention once again? I couldn't trust her, but at the same time I had to. If I didn't believe my sibling, that our parents were both dead, how was I to truly know?

Silence erupted about us, until she broke it. “It's true. Mum and me were in town, not this town, another one, and I told her I was going to buy something. She waited by a building whilst I paid for it, then I called her over for help. She started to cross the road, then a group of joy riders came down the road and…well…” she broke off into silence.

It was too late to control my anger now. I felt tears burning at the back of my eyes, but forced them to stay at bay. I clenched my fists, and out of the blue, I shoved Azure backwards…if it wasn't for her crying, I probably would have punched her. I know it was inappropriate, but she had, yet again, been the cause of my parents' death. I couldn't believe it.

The two people in the world whom I only truly relied on, the only two I could ever trust entirely had been taken by this sorry excuse for a sister of mine. I couldn't speak to her anymore. I never wanted to see her
ever again. Azure had inflicted enough damage on me so far, and I couldn't bear for her to take someone else. We had only just moved to France, and already something bad had occurred. But it was the same with England. My dad had died there, and now I was a…well…an orphan.

Before I left the post office, I glared devious daggers at my sister, and with the package clenched immensely tightly within my grasp, I rode back to Kadic College on the bike, using one hand to steer and the other to hold the parcel. As I went, I tried my hardest, tensed myself to prevent me from crying. I never had been one to burst out into tears; I had never even attempted a proper goodbye to any of my parents. And now, because of my hatred towards Azure, I never would know the whereabouts of my mothers' grave.

Like I'd want to visit it anyway. Not because I didn't like her - but because I knew I'd be too upset to attend it. When I would get back to Kadic, I would drop the parcel off at the Factory, and leave Jeremie be with his present. After that I would want to be alone. I didn't want to believe Azure; I didn't want to believe my mum had gone…I didn't want to believe any of it. I couldn't even be sure…but something deep down told me it was true.

I mean, who would lie about their parents death?

—lCLl—

When I arrived back, I deposited the bike in the Subway, and walked it back to The Factory. Jeremie was already there waiting, along with Ulrich, Yumi and Odd. They were muttered amongst themselves, and when I entered the room, they silenced.


Jeremie walked up towards me, took the package, but did not walk away. He said his thanks, and then began to open it up. Inside, was a box, and when he opened it, I noticed a piece of paper and a necklace…a necklace of ruby. He looked up at my, then passed the two objects to me and explained. “We found out before you, and we set Azure up for you two to meet. The headmaster was going to tell you, but you were nowhere to be found…because I am well known for keeping my secret, I promised to tell you. Except I didn't…we thought it would be easier for you if a family relative did.”

“But…why…you sent me there because you didn't want to…Azure did that for me? But I thought she hated me as much as I hated her?” I thought aloud.

Jeremie spoke up once more: “no. She doesn't hate you…she knew how you'd react to the news, but not telling you would be worse…especially delaying the inevitable. True…your mum has…passed on, but don't be upset. True, we don't know what it's like, but she's in a better place.”

I knew how sloppy and uneasy the sentence Jeremie had said to me was, but I couldn't say that. It wouldn't be very respectful towards a dead person, and although I already missed my mum dearly, it didn't mean I had to be depressed. I lost my pets, dad and mum, and treating my sister how I did wasn't right. What if she was next? That was always my problem. I'd never say `I love you', to my parents and I'd never hug them, I'd would just say and do that in my mind.

They didn't know how much they meant to me, and now Azure was the only person whom was in my family - in this country.

Later that day, whilst I was in my room (I had a room of my own), I read the will, and put the ruby necklace around my neck.

The will said…

Dear Scarlet Crystal,

When you get this, your mother and father will have passed on. Try not to be upset, we know it is hard to forget, but don't be sad…we don't want to know our daughter grew up to be depressed. I'm sorry.


Your sister, Azure, will be getting a letter identical to this, and I hope you both have gotten the necklaces…take care of them, protect them with your life. Remember on our anniversary when we were both wearing these? We wore it to every one up until now your father and I, and I hope you look after them.


By now, the family fortune would have been handed to the people in charge of adoption et cetera, and when you two have reached eighteen, you will both inherit it.


Take care Scarlet. We both love you and we'll make sure you are safe and treated fairly with a new family and your sister.


Jay and Debbie Crystal.


For a will, it was surprisingly short, but that didn't matter, the effort that was put into it, the gentleness put into the letter was great to know. And as I placed the letter down in my diary under the down the side of the bed nearest to the wall, I cried myself to sleep.


They were gone. Forever. And there was nothing I could have done to prevent it…


Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment