Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 7 - Chapter 6

The story based on my characters. More chapters coming shortly.

Chapter 7 - Chapter 6

Chapter 7 - Chapter 6




Pennybrite sat on the bed in Birch's room. “You sure you don't mind sleeping in that armchair?” she called over to Birch. He was curled up in a big, overstuffed, moss green armchair in front of the fireplace. He pulled himself up, looking over the back of the chair.

“It's no problem. Torri usually takes the bed anyway, but she fell asleep downstairs and I didn't have the heart to wake her.”

“You're right,” Penny said, suppressing a laugh. “She looked so peaceful laying in that raspberry pudding.” Penny and Birch both burst out laughing.



…………………………………………………………………………



Birch woke in the middle of the night to the sounds of soft crying.

“Penny?” he whispered into the darkness. No answer. He got up and stumbled sleepily over to the bedside. Penny was whimpering and shaking. Birch shook her lightly. “Penny. Come on now Penn, wake up…”

Penny sat straight up in bed, slightly out of breath. She held her bandaged hand close to her; it was throbbing and hurt badly. Birch looked worried. “Here, let me see that.” Birch took her hand and unwrapped it gently. The burn looked raw and sore. He selected a few supplies from a drawer on the bedside table and began rewrapping her paw. “Penny,” he said as he worked, “can I ask you something?” She nodded. “How did this happen to you?”

The haremaid's face darkened. “I was a slave at Fort Spar, the stone fortress of Lord Krienach, a black-hearted fox if I ever saw one. He killed my brother, you know; when we tried to resist being captured. Our parents left us with my grandfather when e were very young and were never seen again. We lived on our own after he died. Then one day, I was taken captive.” She held out her injured paw. “They would brand us to make sure we never forgot who we belonged to.”

Birch put his arm around her, wiping a tear from her face. “Shhh, it's alright now. You can forget about those days. This is your home now…”

Pennybrite grew solemn. She turned slowly, looking Birch straight in the eye. “No,” she said flatly, “No, I can't do that.” She got up, walking over to the open window, fingering the medallion around her neck. “What kind of Moonsparrow would I be if I left the other creatures in bondage?”

“Penny, please, you can't leave. Forget about them, they're just - ”

“Just what? Just strangers? Just slaves? Well, I'll tell you something Birch,” she turned to him, her voice growing angry. “I've known them. I've worked beside them. I've stood up for them, even if it meant a whip across my back, and they've done the same for me. And I tell you now, every one of them is a Moonsparrow!”

“What?” Birch stared in disbelief. Penny shook her head.

“Lord Krienach already has 300 Moonsparrow slaves within his walls. If you thought I was the last, you were mistaken. There are still more of us in the lands beyond Mossflower. Lord Krienach will not rest until we are all slaves to him.” She sat down on the bed, resting her head on her hand. She looked up to Birch. “And that's the truth of it. Now get some sleep. I'll tell you more in the morning...”

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment