Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 17 - Chapter 15

The story based on my characters. More chapters coming shortly.

Chapter 17 - Chapter 15

Chapter 17 - Chapter 15


Kartaliss, captain of the guard, strode nervously to the main chamber of Fort Spar. His fiery red fur was now flecked white with age. Straightening his uniform, he knocked three times on the tall wooden door.

A small mouse opened the door, bowing his head, as was customary for slaves. Kartaliss pushed him aside and strode down hall-like room to where Lord Krienach sat on his rock throne. He was a truly fearsome sight, still large and sinewy. His black fur had not even grayed over the years, and his frightening yellow-green eyes missed nothing. He wore a black tunic, marked with the symbol of his army. His red cloak was clipped at the neck by a red stone set in silver. At the top of his throne perched his most loyal subject, a huge black vulture.

Kartaliss bowed on one knee and placed his shamshir, a long wickedly curved blade, in front of him. “My Lord…”

Lord Krienach stared coolly at the fox. “Ah, Kartaliss, my loyal captain, what news do you bring to the northlands?” His deep voice boomed out, echoing around the stone room. Kartaliss remained bowed low to the ground as he answered.

“Patrols spotted three creatures southwest of your lands.”

“And?”

“Sire, our patrols believe them to be Moonsparrows.”

Krienach gripped the arm rests of his throne, growling. “You had them destroyed of course?”

Kartaliss bit his lip nervously. “My Lord, they escaped!”

Kreinach's voice was flat and angry, laden with disgust. “How could you let them get away? I sent you enough soldiers for two patrols!”

“They jumped from a cliff, into the River Moss.”

The vulture perched above the black fox let out a thin, grating noise that only slightly resembled a laugh. The mouse by the door winced. He hated that sound, evil and unearthly. The bird looked down to his master. “Lord Krienach, surely they would have perished from such a fall?”

He nodded slowly and then looked to Kartaliss. “Tell the patrols to search both sides of the river. If they are still alive…” He pulled a knife from his belt, tossing it to the captain. It thudded point down in the dirt floor, quivering. Kartaliss tucked it in his belt before retrieving his own sword.

“It will be done.”

The mouse bowed his head as the captain of the guard left the chamber. A single tear trickled down the slave's cheek.

Lord Krienach looked to the vulture. “Follow him. Take half a sky patrol with you. Make sure he does the job properly…”

The vulture crawled down, perching on the arm rest of the throne. “My Lord, they are only three creatures. Why do you take such extreme measures? Surely they can do nothing against a force as impenetrable as the Army of Almiruin?”

The fox lord was no fool. “A single misplaced stone can cause a fortress to fall. I take no chances. I will show those lowly creatures who the true Lord of the Northlands is. We will wipe out the Moonsparrow race once and for all!

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment