Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 18 - Chapter 16

The story based on my characters. More chapters coming shortly.

Chapter 18 - Chapter 16

Chapter 18 - Chapter 16


Trek's house was little more than a simple one room hut, seemingly woven throughout the branches of a large rowan tree. A fireplace, bed, chair, and a small kitchen area filled his home.

Morgan and Jhekel sat on the edge of the bed. Jhekel pulled the blanket Trek had given him closer around him, looking over Morgan's shoulder at a map she was holding. She looked up, calling across the room to Trek. “You made this map?”

He nodded. “Yep. `S been a while since I traveled that far north, but that's the quickest route to the Valley, I assure you.”

Morgan took a charcoal stick from her bag, darkening the line Trek had drawn. Penny sat by the fireplace, sipping a cup of hot tea Trek had served her. She looked to Morgan. “So, when do we leave again?”

Jhekel shrugged. “As soon as possible I guess. They've probably found our trail by now. The last thing we want is lead those patrols here, right Trek.” He looked up from the map. “Trek?”

The squirrel put a finger to his lips, signaling him to be silent. He whispered to Penny. “See that rope by the fireplace? It shuts the vent that lets the smoke out the chimney. Pull it, and then put out the fire…” He went back to looking out the window. Morgan joined him.

“Is that smoke?” she said, looking out the window. He shook his head, a worried look on his face.

“It's moving fast, and there's not even a breeze.” Suddenly, he ducked down and turned to the others. “Lord Krienach's sky patrol!”

A huge flock of red-winged blackbirds flew overhead, filling the air with the deafening noise of wings flapping, cawing, and the unearthly scream of a vulture. Morgan looked to the others, a panicked look on her face. “They're headed for the river. He knows we're here!”

Penny grabbed the haversack and map. “Looks like we'll have to cut our visit short, before they find us, or Trek too for that matter.”

Trek opened the door, looking down to the forest floor before lowering the rope ladder. The threesome climbed down, followed by Trek, who was carrying an unstrung bow. He handed it to Jhekel. “You're gonna need this more than I do.”

Jhekel restrung it with his old cord, pulling it back and testing it's strength. “ `Tis a good solid longbow. Thank ye matey.” He strapped it over his shoulder.

Penny smiled at Trek. “Thank you for your kindness. You're a loyal friend Trek.” He blushed and ushered them forward.

“Come on now, you should get goin'. Go northeast, you'll find a small outlet that flows from the River Moss northward. Keep to the stream and you'll find the otter holt that patrols that area. Tell `em Trek sent ya. Now go!”

He motioned them to move forward, further into the woodlands. Morgan took off, calling behind her. “Thanks matey! We won't soon forget you!” Jhekel and Pennybrite followed close behind.

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Winterpaw on April 23, 2006, 1:46:50 AM

Winterpaw on
WinterpawI READ ALL THE CHAPTERS WITHIN 1 HOUR!!!WOOT!!!I love this fanfic...alot of people I know start fanfics and never finish em'. I will not use any names.*cough*me*cough*