Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 2 - Float Like A Butterfly, Sting Like A Bee

After unfaithfulness, how can a pair of lovers learn to trust each other again?

Chapter 2 - Float Like A Butterfly, Sting Like A Bee

Chapter 2 - Float Like A Butterfly, Sting Like A Bee
Harper came back to the apartment about a week later. Once again, he should''ve been at work. Instead, he was home packing. She hit a few boxes as she opened the door. "Going somewhere?"

"Well hello to you too." The spite in both their voices stung him. "Yea, i have to move out. You know the rent is too high for one person."

She picked up a box and took it to their old bedroom, and started packing up some more of her things. She was wearing a long-sleeved shirt and jeans. He stopped what he was doing and followed her.

"It''s 90 degrees outside, Harp. A little warm for sleeves, don''t you think?" He reached for her arm, but she snatched it away.

"You know I''m cold natured."

"Not that cold natured."

"I know what you''re getting at, James. I''m not cutting again. I''m not that stupid."

"So show me."

"I don''t have to prove myself to you."

It was silent for a while. He couldn''t believe how much she had changed. It wasn''t like her to just be cold-hearted towards someone. She was courteous to even her worst enemies. "You used to love me, you know." he said softly.

"You''re pathetic."

He whimpered in spite of himself. They used to be so in love. "Can''t we even be civilized?"

"Civilized people don''t cheat on their fiances, James."

The perfect comeback finally came to him. "You''re mom cheated on your dad, Harp! For two and a half YEARS! But he forgave her."

"No, he didn''t. He gave her an ultimatum. She got pregnant when i was about 4, and Dad said if she had the baby, he''d take Sam and me and get the hell out of Dodge. Bet you never knew that, huh?"

"Why did you tell me that?"

"Because, James, you need to realize that everything has consequences. My dad never forgave my mom, but they both loved us very much. So mom got an abortion and they started sharing the bed again." She was crying now. "You think you have all the answers, James, but you don''t. Ok? We''re over, and that''s all there is to it."

"That can''t just be it. I love you, Harper."

She wiped her face on her sleeve and picked her box up. "Sam is waiting downstairs with his truck. Him and Scott are going to get some of my bigger things.. Mom''s china cabinet and whatnot. I don''t think he''d be too happy to see you."

Harper''s older brother already didn''t like him very much for insisting they move in together while she was in school. But he was too upset to be very intimidated right now. "Are you kicking me out of my own apartment?"

"Grow up, James. And for god''s sake, go back to work. You''re only 24. Don''t let this be the end of your life."

It was the nicest thing she''d said to him all day, in a the-truth-hurts kind of way.
But didn''t she realize?

She was his life.

Comments

Comments (0)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment