Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 4 - CH IV: Death's Shadow

My part for MrGimp's colab fic! Please let me know what you think!

Chapter 4 - CH IV: Death's Shadow

Chapter 4 - CH IV: Death's Shadow
Ekyt was told to wait until night fell on the lush green paradise that was Angel Island, before taking Linda to his home. He was to gather supplies quickly, and then protect her at all costs at a location in just outside Knothole village in the Great Forest.

“Okay Master, it’s safe.” Ekyt called to Linda as he cautiously opened the door. “I told you, don’t do the “Master” crap unless someone is around. I hate it.” She said moodily. She turned a questioning eye to him. “You don’t seem to mind it.” He shrugged. “It’s my job to do what you say.” She shook her head. “I’m sorry about treating you so roughly back there. I hate doing that. You deserve better than that.” She said truthfully. For some reason, her beautiful green eyes caught his attention. “You’re only doing what’s expected of you. I can tell you don’t like it. I don’t take it personally.”

Ekyt offered his bed to her. She sat down on the edge. “What about you?” she asked with a frown. “This room has no windows, so I’ll just be outside the door.” Ekyt replied. “That won’t be comfortable. Why don’t you sleep here, and I’ll go out there?” she offered. “No, really, you need your rest. I’m used to worse conditions. I call this “home,” but the fact is I’m rarely here. I usually sleep near the chaos emerald.” He said. “Orders?” she asked, playing with the pillow. He shook his head. “No. Just…stupid, I guess.” He answered, forcing a smile. “That’s not why, but I don’t expect you to tell me.” she looked at him with a piercing glance. “But I DO expect you to tell me why we’re going into hiding.”

Ekyt had his hands on his sword; he had pulled it off for the night. “I’m not sure. The Brotherhood seems to think you are particularly at risk. From what or who, I can only give the usual guesses. But normally Haven would be the safest spot…Unless they think there’s a traitor inside it…or the enemy found out where it was…” he said thoughtfully. Linda stopped her questioning. With a laugh, she said “You like a freakin’ Jedi! I didn’t notice it, but the robe, and using that ring earlier.” Ekyt grinned, ruefully. “I wish I was. Then I might be something special.” Linda gave him a questioning look. He had already learned what THAT LOOK meant. He was supposed to tell the truth. “I feel like I’m a pawn in giant game of chess, and my only job is to protect the queen.” Hastily, he added “I’m not objecting. I just wish they took me seriously.” He muttered, his voice turning cold.

Suddenly remembering who he was talking to, he apologized quickly and bowed without thinking of it. She laughed and threw the pillow at him. “I can see why you’d feel that way. I don’t blame you. But you know…you ARE allowed to relax. You don’t have to be so by-the-book around me.” she looked down when she said it, giving Ekyt the impression that something else was weighing on her mind. He wanted to go over and comfort her.

I can’t believe I thought that! She’s a mission, nothing else! Focus! Ekyt didn’t believe a word his mind was telling him.

He heard a knock at the door. “Damnit! Is our stuff ready?” Linda-Su asked with a curse. “Yes, we’re all set. I think it’s best if you’re ready to run.” He said, almost unnaturally calm.

Another knock at the door. Ekyt opened the door. “Can I help you?” Two cloaked individuals walked inside without an invitation. Ekyt primed himself to attack, but stopped upon seeing Locke and Athair. “We need to counsel with you and Linda-Su now.” Locke said gravely.

They all sat around Ekyt’s table, a thick oak table of average size. “We just barely escaped. Linda-Su, I’m sorry to have to tell you this, but your mother was murdered…” Linda clasped a hand to her mouth. “My God…when, and who did it?” She said, sounding faint. “It happened no more than an hour ago. Spectre is also dead.” Locke supplied. “I’m very sorry Linda-Su. Your mother asked me to give you this…” he handed her an envelope, which Linda opened with shaking hands.

Inside was a final will and testament, leaving all Poile-La’s worldly possession to Linda-Su. Linda finally allowed herself to cry. Locke stayed with her. “Guardian, a word.” Athair said, beckoning to him.

The two went outside. Athair turned to him, handing him two hooded cloaks. “You must travel as soon as the girl is stable on her feet. Take a horse. DO NOT let her ride without you. She may be tempted to come back to Haven. Tell her it is destroyed. DO NOT let her go near it. Do you understand?” Ekyt nodded. “Athair…if I may ask…” “Go ahead guardian.” The older echidna said, seemingly amused by Ekyt’s sudden courage. “Why all the secrecy for her? I know she’s important somehow, but I’d like to know why she’s so much at risk.” Athair stared into Ekyt’s eyes. “You know much guardian. We did not send you die, though I have no doubt you would, should that be your duty. Locke and myself hoped you would live. We chose you over Knuckles for reasons that will become clear soon. For now, I’ll leave you with this: If Knuckles had been the one guarding her, there would have been a war by now. You were chosen, for one reason, because of your discipline. Something my Great-Great-Grandson lacks. Other reasons you must hear, but not from me.”

Ekyt went back inside. Linda had composed herself somewhat. “Athair told you your orders?” Locke asked. “Yes. My plan is to give her a little time to compose herself, then set out.” Locke nodded. “Good luck to you both. This may very well be the last time we meet guardian. I hope you can forgive me for knowing I was likely sending you to your death.” “Of course Locke. I knew the job was dangerous. The one thing that bothers me is that I was rushed to mastery. I didn’t master it, did I?” Ekyt asked. Locke gave a hollow smile. “You just did. You had the integrity and intelligence. And you’ve proven to have the intensity. And you’ve just now proven a pureness of heart.”

“What am I going to do?” Linda asked Ekyt, allowing herself to show some emotion. “I’m only fifteen. I’m too young to be orphaned. And Julie-Su…at least she’s got Knuckles. Her and Mom never got along. But we were close…I just don’t know what to do…” Ekyt started to sit down, but Linda-Su motioned for him to sit next to her. “I know I’m no more than a mission to you.” She said. Ekyt was surprised at that. “THAT was a lie I told. I legitimately care about your well-being.” Linda sniffled, before trying to stiffen her face. Her smooth features were covered with tears. “D-do you mind if I…” She laid her head on his shoulder, wrapping her hands around his slim waist. “I don’t know what to do…” Ekyt gulped. “Don’t YOU go anywhere.” Linda said, a sad smile crossing her face. “I need you. You’ve saved my life once already.” “It’s my…more than my job. It’s my pleasure.” Ekyt said, returning the smile. He handed her a cloak. They were black and hooded, full-length. “For now, we have to run.” He said. She nodded, taking the cloak. “Oh, there’s one more thing…” Linda said. She handed him the will. “My mother thought highly of you. There’s a letter in here, addressed to you. But I’ve been cautioned not to let you open it until we’re safely hidden.”

Linda picked the horse, a beast black as the night sky. It whinnied softly at her gentle touch. “No saddle, just a bridle.” She said offhand. She looked over at Ekyt, who was looking hesitant. “I get the feeling you’re a little intimidated by my innocent widdle howsey.” Linda said, the last part in baby talk. “Sorry. It’s big and powerful. Something I tend to be cautious of.”

He mounted the animal and offered her a hand up. She gripped him around the waist. “Off we go.” She said quietly, a tear for her mother rolling down her cheek. Ekyt coaxed the horse into galloping, their cloaks billowing behind them. They both took a last look at their home, wondering if they’d ever be back…

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

fuzzyfur on July 9, 2007, 10:06:14 AM

fuzzyfur on
fuzzyfurthat was great. I love this story so far.

MrGimp on June 29, 2007, 10:13:25 PM

MrGimp on
MrGimpOh man, this is getting better and better by the chapter! Keep 'em coming!! >w<

alchemest1 on June 29, 2007, 4:57:24 PM

alchemest1 on
alchemest1Twists and turns. I love the way you do that. Although i will admit it drives me insane waiting for the next chapter. But tonight you are a lean, mean, writing machine. Lol. I love this story. I think this is going to be your best yet. I can see myself there with the characters. Not a thing many people can make me do!