Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 6 - CH VI: The Wound Deepens...

My part for MrGimp's colab fic! Please let me know what you think!

Chapter 6 - CH VI: The Wound Deepens...

Chapter 6 - CH VI: The Wound Deepens...
Ekyt woke with a start, his hand grasping his sword. Slowly, he put it down, the cold sweat bristling across his body, making every movement feel strange. His hand reached for the envelope near him, a letter from Poile-La, Linda’s mother. He read the first of two notes, his hand shaking.

Guardian:

The time has come for me to make you understand your role. But first, the situation must be explained.

The Dark Legion is gaining followers, and is soon going usurp it’s leader, Lien-Da. Kragok, the group’s true leader, was exiled to the Zone of Silence. But alas, evil does not disappear so easily.

There is to be a great war. It MUST be prevented. You were chosen as a host for the Ring of Chaos. You were chosen from the beginning of your training. It was foretold, the coming of a human guardian. Athair and Locke are aware.

When you read this, I will undoubtedly be dead. Perhaps you have thought it your duty to simply die. Guardian, I ask not that you die, for that is an unbearable burden for one so young. It is true you were rushed to mastery. Please, do not feel it is unearned. As you will soon understand, we had no other alternative.

So I ask you now, protect my daughter, for there is more to the prophecy, which I cannot hope to explain in a letter. But I can tell you that you MUST stop the war. The only way to stop it is self-sacrifice…Or, rather, the only APPARENT way.

Guardian, you must think things through. In the meantime, Linda-Su will face a hardship. I fear she is little more than a kept woman’s child, though I know better.

This is the reason I asked you to stay duty-bound to her. I’m afraid I may be biased, not at all a guardian’s trait, however, she is still my daughter. Please, serve and protect her until the end…


The letter ended without signature. Ekyt was tempted to read the second letter, when something gold fell onto his lap. It was a large watch. Confused, Ekyt opened it. He saw it was more than a watch. A small note with it read simply “It was my Father’s. As I have no son, perhaps you have use for it.”

“Ekyt?” Linda’s voice came softly to him. He got up out of her way. “Good morning. I hope you slept well.” Ekyt said, a small bow adding to his words. “Ekyt, If what our letters say are true (Ekyt didn’t ask how she knew what his letter said), the we have to leave.” She didn’t have a care-free tone in her voice, indicating this was a serious matter. “We shouldn’t leave half-cocked. I don’t know how to stop the war yet. I was asked not to sacrfice myself. If I did, that would end the war between the guardians and the Dark Legion, they would have what they wanted. I was told there’s another way, but I have no idea what it is.” Linda chewed her lip thoughtfully. “I think…we need to hold council with Knothole’s leaders.” Ekyt started to question that, but stopped. Linda gave him a curious look. As he walked away to get the horse ready, she whispered to herself “You can talk to me Ekyt.”

“I’m too young to face death…But if that’s what’s asked of me, I haven’t got a choice! I’m going to take it upright. That’s the most I can do…” Ekyt didn’t lack courage, but desperately wanted to find another way.

The door was suddenly kicked it. Ekyt heard it and raced toward the house, founding himself and Linda outnumbered hopelessly. “Glad you could join us guardian. We have come for you…surrender yourself, and we leave the little lady alone.” Ekyt glared, an intense hatred spreading through him. “Leave her out of this! This is between us, you cowards!” I’ve got to buy her time to escape…There’s only one chance…

We all must face death at one point. It is a fact of life. Life is a part of death. An endless circle. Ekyt’s time had come. He drew his staff and sword. He needed to reach Linda, she was the key…

The Dark Legion, fifteen of them, all turned toward him. Grinning, they drew their swords. “Brave guardian. It’s a shame…we know you aren’t a true master…and we’ve killed better fighters than you. But if you’ve chosen your path…” “I have! And I will stay loyal to the Brotherhood! I might not live to see it through, but I promise you I will set events in motion that will destroy you and your master!” Ekyt didn’t know WHAT the hell he had just said, but it struck a chord. “I’ll see you to hell myself guardian!” one yelled. He charged.

Ekyt parried his blow, catching the echidna’s sword between his staff and own blade. He snapped the two together, breaking the sword, while swiftly kicking the echidna in the sternum, knocking him into the wall. Another rushed forward. He struck fiercly, only narrowly missing Ekyt as he rolled backward, swing his leg low and his staff high, both connecting. This couldn’t go on, it was taking too long…

Linda watched in horror. She at first thought she was paralyzed by fear. Instead, she found that Ekyt himself was preventing her from helping him. He had created an invisible wall, that neither she nor her assailants could cross. How long he could maintain that wall was anyone’s guess. It was already draining him, she could tell.

Ekyt didn’t need to maintain the wall for long, only long enough to create an escape for Linda-Su. He had gotten in front of her, but was facing fifteen angry echidnas. The hallway they were in was narrow, which gave Ekyt an advantage as they could only attack two at a time. But how to get her out…If she made it to the horse, she would be safe in Knothole…but how? Suddenly, it hit him.

What mad him think of this, he didn’t know, but as he blocked and dodged, he whispered to Linda-Su “Give me the ring. I’m going to make a path. Take the horse and head to Knothole.” She handed him the ring, though she had no intention of leaving him.

He had served her so loyally, the least she could is return that loyalty.

Ekyt put the ring on his finger, feeling a surge of evil. He suppressed it the best he could. He held his sword and staff, both glowing with energy in front of him. He swung them both into the wall, opening a hole. “GO!” he shouted, holding back the fifteen enemies with his rapidly draining power. He threw them backward, and guessed he had time for one last strike. He swung his staff and sword into the wall once more. He scrambled through the hole as the house began to collapse…

Linda reigned the horse in near Ekyt. “Come on! That’s not going to stop them!” Ekyt turned to obey, when the backlash of the power hit him. His face contorted, but he refused to make a sound. The ring rolled off his finger as he blacked out. Linda cursed, then dove off the horse to pull him up onto it. Good thing he was so light…

Linda got the horse to gallop, getting them almost to Knothole. She turned back to check on Ekyt. “Oh My God…” she said in a hushed tone. His breathing was shallow, and his chest was a mass of blood, despite there being no wound…

“That damn ring…If I had known…please, stay with me. Steppenwolf, Edmund, may your guidance watch and protect him…” she said, a tear in her eye. She feared the worst, and with good reason…

Comments

Comments (3)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

MrGimp on July 2, 2007, 11:41:39 PM

MrGimp on
MrGimpOh yeah! This is a great chapter! >w<

Flashthehedgehog on July 2, 2007, 4:12:27 AM

Flashthehedgehog on
FlashthehedgehogOh my days, I'm definitely going to the next one! ^^

alchemest1 on June 30, 2007, 1:27:58 PM

alchemest1 on
alchemest1I held my breath thru the entire fight. (pants slighly tongue out) this is getting better and better with each chapter. Now I'M even worried about Ekyt. He's nuts using the ring when already wounded. He could have killed himself.(growls with exasperation and worry)