Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 8 - CH VIII: The Blessing of Guardians...

My part for MrGimp's colab fic! Please let me know what you think!

Chapter 8 - CH VIII: The Blessing of Guardians...

Chapter 8 - CH VIII: The Blessing of Guardians...
Ekyt ran to the top of the castle, Linda-Su right behind him. A ladder suddenly went up with a loud CRACK right near him. He peered over the edge. A group of robots were climbing it. Ekyt, who was running on pure anger, brought his sword on the wood just so, spitting it. The rungs broke in two, stopping the robots. Ekyt then pushed the ladder, destroying the robots on the way down.

A few had managed to break into the castle on the upper levels. Ekyt watched in horror as some of the inhabitants were thrown off the castle. If they lived, they were prisoners. If they died, their heads were severed and exhibited on pikes, leaving the remaining inhabitants of the castle to contemplate their own fate if they lost.

Elias ran up to Ekyt and Linda-Su. “I’m going to surrender the castle. I’ve made a deal with Robotnik: He spares us as long as we leave the castle without resistance.” “That’s a horrible idea! When has Robotnik ever kept a promise?! And what kind of half-assed freedom would it be if we surrendered?” Elias was at a loss for words. “Elias, I don’t know about the others, but I’m fighting. You can go if you want. I’m going to defend this castle to the last.” Elias smiled. “I think you’ve brought me ‘round old friend.” He turned to the inhabitants. Raising his sword in salute he yelled “No Retreat!” Everyone answered him: “No Surrender!”

Ekyt headed to the lower level. Linda-Su was trying to talk him out of it. “It’s suicide!” she argued. “No it’s not. I’ve had worse odds. I could use the ring and end this war before it starts.” He held it, contemplating it. Linda-Su hated to do it, but she had no choice. She couldn’t bear to see him die. Too many had been lost already. This human seemed like a constant in her life, and one she wasn’t prepared to lose. “Guardian, stand down!” She said/ordered. Ekyt stopped. “Please don’t ask that of me…I’ve never run from a fight.” He said, despairing that he already knew her answer. “Stand down. It’s not your fight.” Ekyt looked for a moment as though he was going to defy her. “Give me the ring.” She said quietly. Ekyt hesitated, then bowed. “As you say master.” He said, sadness creeping into his voice. “If we get through this, you’ll understand Ekyt.” Ekyt wanted to say something back, but only bowed again. If she’s going to play this by the book, I will too. He thought, almost childishly.

Linda-Su had to stifle a laugh as Ekyt knelt by her side, head down in a sign of submission. This is so funny! It’s almost cute how he’s “teaching me a lesson.” I knew he’d be mad that I did this, but I thought he would defy me…

Ekyt was summoned, along with Linda-Su to Elias’ personal quarters. “They’re going to try to flush us out.” Ekyt said immediately. “What’s our supplies like?” Elias hesitated. “Not good.” He admitted. “We have too many women and children who eat, but don’t fight.” Ekyt stroked his chin. “We should only wait long enough to plan, then attack ourselves…” “We don’t have the firepower! It would be suicide!” Elias exclaimed. “You didn’t have the firepower against Robotnik, and that’s a war you won! I sure as hell don’t want to wait around for my head to be on a stick!” Linda-Su offered her stance. “Who’s leading them? If Robotnik didn’t have the manufacturing means two months ago, there’s no way he could have gotten it so quick…” That question stumped them all. “It must be a magical presence. A guardian’s equivalent…” Ekyt said thoughtfully.

“We weren’t really related.” Linda-Su said suddenly. At Ekyt’s questioning look, she finished. “My Mother I mean…I never met my real mother…she was exiled when the Dark Legion took over briefly…” She said sadly. “I…knew myself master.” Ekyt admitted. “How did you know?” “I’ve met your mother. When I was banished myself. She had saved my life. I was attacked from behind, my neck nearly broken. I was stabbed, and when she pulled the knife out of me, she told me it had stopped a half inch from my heart. She bandaged me up…There are something’s even guardian’s can’t survive, though they call us “immortal.”” He stopped, giving her a questioning look. “I know…that’s why I stopped you.” She told him. “I don’t want to see you killed…I know you’re going to put yourself at risk again…and I can’t stop you…Just as I know you’re going to allow yourself to be killed to stop this war!”

The last part surprised Ekyt. “It’s no wish of mine, rest assured! If anything, fate! Poile-La asked me to find away around death, but nothing’s come to me…All I know is that ring must be destroyed…There’s evil around that can control it. I can sense it…guardians avoid killing whenever possible. With all the blood that shot out of the ring, through my body, that ring has caused too many deaths to have been controlled by a guardian only…” It was Linda-Su’s turn to be surprised. “You mean…there’s something more powerful than the Brotherhood?” “Something killed them, didn’t it?” he countered, suddenly angry. Beyond angry.

He looked over at the window, and did a double take. “My God…Linda-Su, is that who I think?” Linda-Su looked over herself. “Spectre? But he’s dead! And what’s he doing with them?” “He’s not dead enough!” Ekyt said with a snarl. He headed toward the door. “Wait!” Linda-Su called. Ekyt turned, bowing. “Just…don’t kill anyone!” she stammered. Ekyt nodded, inclining his head. “It was never my intention…But, as you say…”

Ekyt bade Elias and seven guards to watch Linda-Su while Ekyt went to face Spectre. “But he’s a master!” Linda-Su argued. “I’m the only one here who can match him power for power, I’ve got to try!” he said forcefully, praying she wouldn’t order him not to. She did not. Instead, she absently straightened his robe while talking to his chest. She couldn’t look him in the eyes. “Please…take care of yourself…and return safely.” She bade. He knelt briefly, head inclined. “I shall.” He promised.

As he walked away toward a likely death, Linda-Su recited some of the guardian’s creed.

May Steppenwolf guide you,
and may Dmitri’s shadow not fall on you.
Should the time come to fight,
May Edmund’s sacrifice be not in vain.

May guardians, past and present,
Alive and deceased,
Here now and forever,
Watch over and protect you.

By Steppenwolf’s example,
The hopes and prayers of all species,
Lie with you.

May this creed bless you,
And give you the strength and courage
Needed to face a perilous task,
One which few would take.

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

alchemest1 on July 1, 2007, 12:54:25 PM

alchemest1 on
alchemest1Wow. You weren't kidding you were going to make him a bit annoyed with Linda. He didn't like that order very well. And the seige sounds like it's going badly. This chapter is really good. I love it. Keep them coming.