Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 9 - CH IX: A Vindictive Strike

My part for MrGimp's colab fic! Please let me know what you think!

Chapter 9 - CH IX: A Vindictive Strike

Chapter 9 - CH IX: A Vindictive Strike
Ekyt rode the horse over to Robotnik, the Crest of the Guardians plainly visible on his chest, and King Acorn’s banner fluttering behind him. Jumping off, he urged the horse to head back to the castle, not wanting it slain. He drew his sword, a new dagger from Elias in the sash around his waist. He placed his bo and sword in front of him, in the manner of guard.

A few robots made a move, each commanded individually. These Ekyt cut down with relative ease. The next wave was similar, and all destroyed. The wave after that doubled in size, twenty robots attacking. But all from one direction, so there was no trouble yet. Ekyt’s bo kept them away. If they dared try to attack, they were easy prey for his sword. It could kill no-one living, but robots weren’t living, so there was no trouble.

“Stop the attack!” a voice commanded. Spectre strode forward. There was noticeable change about him; his right eye and left arm had been replaced by robotic replicas. “You’ve joined them, haven’t you.” Ekyt said, as though discussing the weather. “Of course. Power has been my chief interest. The special effects I used to fake my own death were mere child’s play. As was fooling the council into thinking YOU could be the girl’s savior!” Ekyt couldn’t conceal his anger any longer.

“You’ve betrayed us, and I don’t aim to let it go unpunished. Every innocent life you’ve taken shall be redeemed!” Spectre laughed. “You were always bright…that’s why I disliked you…you posed the greatest threat. You were never as skilled as Knuckles, but you are definitely smarter. You’ve got common sense, and are devoid of ego. All strengths, qualities that are prized among guardians.” Ekyt replied with a dry “I’m flattered.”

Out of respect for his opponent, as per guardian customs, he dropped his spare weapon. His sword fell to the ground; he had chosen his bo. The dagger remained in his sash, as he saw that Spectre too had a dagger. Spectre smiled; not a reassuring gesture. “So be it. You’ve chosen death over life. Perhaps you are more noble than wise…”

Spectre’s weapon was a sword. It was 30 inches long, slightly longer than the average of it’s make. It curved, making it ideal for cutting. The hilt was adorned with spikes, as was the scabbard (saya, in this case).

Spectre’s sword swung down, an easy strike to block. Ekyt did so, bring the reverse end of his staff up. Rather than meet the blade, Ekyt stepped to his left, to the outside of the strike, knocking it away, following the strike. He swung the staff’s opposite end around in a windmill motion, which was broken into two sets of two strikes. The near end of Ekyt’s bo came down, followed immediately by the back end, all high strikes on both sides, as he switched hands, hoping to beat Spectre’s guard. Spectre blocked all four and returned with a stab, which Ekyt brought his bo down on.

He maintained contact, shuffling forward, hoping to strike Spectre’s thumb. Spectre flipped the staff and sword’s positions. Ekyt recovered quickly, using a kick as a pacifying strike, before landing the first hit of their duel. He flipped the staff into a long-range grip, bracing it under his forearm, and swung, followed by a thrust. Spectre dodged the initial strike, but the thrust hit home, dead center of the solar plexus (Center of chest, roughly).

Ekyt and Spectre both turned as they heard the sound of hooves behind them. Elias had taken Ekyt’s advice, and now there was a charge on the battle field! Spectre muttered some words, enclosing the two in a dome. “No more distractions! This needs to be settled!”

He swung his sword from his leg, catching Ekyt by surprise. He had enough time to swing the back end of his bo across in a sweeping block, but was hit with the case as Spectre spun, rolling off Ekyt’s body so as to maintain contact. The spiked case dug into Ekyt’s side, tearing his robe and causing blood to pour out from the small, but numerous, punctures.

Ekyt kicked backward, hitting Spectre’s knee. His staff hit the ground, as Spectre managed to dodge the downward blow. The next strike aimed for Spectre’s temple. That was blocked by Spectre with the hilt of his sword. He attempted to strip the bo away from Ekyt, pulling him in close. Ekyt switched his grip and shifted his momentum, causing Spectre to lose his balance momentarily. Ekyt used the opening to bring an elbow down across Spectre’s shoulder blades, knocking him to the ground briefly.

Spectre was up in an instant, his sword flashing out in three strikes, in an abiniko (fan) pattern. All high strikes, Ekyt blocked them with his staff lengthwise in front of him. He brought the top end of the bo down in a strike to the head, which Spectre batted aside, scoring with a kick to the chest.

Linda-Su watched the duel. Her guards were circling her on horseback, swords drawn. “C’mon, c’mon.” she cheered aloud. “Beggin’ your pardon miss, but how do you know the lad?” One of her guards asked. “He’s my escort for this mission.” She answered. The creature on horseback, a strange mix of echidna and hedgehog, grinned. “I only ask because I trained with him. Trust me. He won’t flaunt it, too modest, but if anyone here is a match for that echidna, it’s him. He spared me a few moments when I asked him to show me his chaos powers.” “He has chaos powers?!” Linda-Su interrupted, surprised. “Yes, but perhaps too noble to use them. I wish he would, for his own sake.” The rider’s beast whinnied softly, as if it too was worried about the outcome of the battle.

“If I may, what’s your name?” Linda-Su asked. “I’m called Gareth by legal terms, but most call me Garth M’lady.” He said, tipping his helmet in a sign of respect, since it wasn’t advisable to bow on horseback. “Garth…What kind of chaos power did he have?” Garth thought for a moment, clicking his tongue. “I forget what he called it, but he could summon power from the emeralds. Chaos…Vortex, that was it. It gave him about 30 seconds of incredible ability, during which time he couldn’t be harmed. But afterward, he was completely drained of energy for five minutes.” Garth talked with a hint of an oriental accent, Linda-Su guess Japanese by his mannerisms. He sat upright in his saddle. “You seem carefree.” Linda-Su pointed out. “I feel as though every moment alive should be enjoyed.” Garth said by way of explanation, even when saying something so serious maintaining a care-free, but somehow serious, air. “I hope he’ll be alright.” She said, watching him take a hard shot from Spectre. “He will be, I’m certain. You seem fond of him.” It was part question. “As a friend. He’s been more than loyal.” She responded quickly, not wanting Garth to get the wrong idea.

Ekyt’s bo hit Spectre’s forearm, and then snaked clockwise across it, stripping his weapon. At the last moment, Spectre re-directed his momentum, forcing the bo out of Ekyt’s hands. Immediately, both drew their daggers. They tuned, knife hand foreward, spare hand guarding their hearts, shoulders forward. Spectre slashed forward, catching Ekyt’s robe. Ekyt backed up quickly, pulling off his robe and wrapping it around his left hand so he could block. He sacrificed the ability to switch hands, but Spectre was the more skilled of the two, so blocking could be the difference between life and death.

Both daggers slashed foreward, cutting their respective forearms slightly. That was to be expected; if you used knives, you got cut, no way around it. Their wrist stayed in contact, as they stuck in a high, low, high pattern. Ekyt’s other hand, covered with his robe, managed to connect with a punch to the jaw. Spectre’s left hand narrowly missed, as Ekyt’s hand hit slightly before.

Spectre drew back. “Enough of this foolish child’s play! I will end this now!” Ekyt’s arms snapped to his sides as he was raised in the air, unable to move. He concentrated, willing himself to fight it. He shrugged off the chaos attack, which surprised Spectre, as Ekyt’s dagger plunged down, hitting the echidna’s knife arm, forcing him to drop the knife. Ekyt right foot hit the echidna’s temple, knocking him down.

Do it now! You must kill him! Stop the war… But Linda’s pleading voice ran through his head. “I can’t do it…” he whispered to himself. Meanwhile, Spectre had recovered. He moved his hand forward quickly, knocking Ekyt backwards. His bionic arm seized Ekyt around the neck, while his mutilated right arm regained the knife.

Linda-Su watched in horror as Spectre’s chaos abilities held Ekyt up in such a way that he was two feet off the ground, unable to defend himself…

Ekyt’s arms again snapped to his side. He couldn’t throw off the mental attack this time. Spectre hit him hard in the face, gripping his chin. “You had the chance to end it. To chance what was foretold. You were an admirable adversary, human.” His right hand drew back while his left arm gripped Ekyt’s chin. “I want you to see this coming. I want you to meet death face-to-face.” With that, his dagger drove into Ekyt’s heart…

Linda-Su’s group of guards had to move quickly to keep up with her. The siege, meanwhile, had been unsuccessful. They had retained the castle with a minimum of casualties. But no-one could celebrate…

Linda-Su dove beside his body while Spectre ran for it. Even with his power, he couldn’t fight off the whole army. “My God…no…no…this hasn’t happened.” But she had to accept it: Ekyt was dying.

Ekyt’s eyes flickered and opened. Linda-Su was crying over him. He raised an arm toward her, which she took with a shaking hand. “Stay strong Linda-Su. May Steppenwolf guide you…” He died then, the life leaving his eyes. Linda-Su made up her mind then to stay strong. It was what her “servant” would have wanted. She repeated the last part of the blessing to him:

“And May Dmitri’s shadow never fall on you.” She said in a whisper near his ear. She gave him a soft, brushing kiss of respect, a last thanks for loyalty his lips already impossibly cold…

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Flashthehedgehog on July 2, 2007, 8:32:18 PM

Flashthehedgehog on
FlashthehedgehogWhat a battle, excuse me while I crash down on my knees and look up at the sky

"NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EYKT WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DIE!"

alchemest1 on July 1, 2007, 3:14:36 PM

alchemest1 on
alchemest1I had chills near the end.... He can't be dead. That's not possible. (stunned silence and then a whimper of unacceptance)