Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 10 - CH X: The Solution

My part for MrGimp's colab fic! Please let me know what you think!

Chapter 10 - CH X: The Solution

Chapter 10 - CH X: The Solution
Linda-Su asked that Ekyt’s body not be moved for a full day. Given that he was the last one close to her, they agreed. Prince Elias declared a day of mourning. Locke and Athair couldn’t be reached…

Linda-Su sat by herself, holding his robe, which had fallen from his hand after his death. His last words were her sole salvation. She took off her normal clothes, though she didn’t have the heart to destroy them. She mended his robe and pulled it on herself, over a white outfit, signifying Purification of the Soul. She bowed her head in silent prayer for his soul. His robe was slightly big for her, so she hemmed the black material.

“Attention, please!” Elias called. The hall silenced. “As you have all undoubtedly heard by now, a guardian who came to our aid, Ekyt, an adopted son of the House of Dmirti, was slain in battle by a vindictive foe. I witnessed it first hand. Such was his integrity that he refused to kill his defeated opponent. Integrity means little to the Dark Legion and Robotnik, and even less to the turncoat known as Spectre. I’m here to tell you he died a hero’s death. He gave us time enough to turn the tides of the attack and retain the castle. I ask you all to know raise your glasses in a toast to his departed soul.” Every chair scraped across the floor, every glass was raised. “To Ekyt, a legend of our time!” Elias shouted. It was repeated. The glasses were drained as Ekyt’s body was carried in by four of the fighters he had known.

There was a hushes silence across the hall. Everyone stood up as his body was carried past. Those who were fighters drew their swords, holding them, point toward him. One baby cried and was comforted silently by her mother.

Linda-Su thought he looked peaceful. She had asked his body not be changed from it’s final position. It had not. His body hadn’t been cleaned. He was still wearing his white shirt and black pants. The cloak he had worn on the journey covered his wound, hiding it from view. Linda-Su was to be the final ceremony’s celebration leader. She was stunned. Even though they had been no more than friends, Linda-Su had felt that she could trust him…tell him her deepest secrets, her secret ambitions, all without fear of being laughed at. It was like she had a best friend, a servant, a protector, and a guardian, all in one. For that to be gone so suddenly…it tore her heart out. She ran a hand down his face, amazingly nearly unmarred after such intense combat. His cheek was so cold…she just couldn’t believe it. She remembered she was supposed to day something about him…but she knew so little.

“Ekyt was certainly a guardian’s guardian. And I’m sorry to say that I didn’t much chance to know him in the short time he served as my escort. I felt like I could tell him anything…Even when I gave him an “order”, something I didn’t enjoy and didn’t need to do often, no matter how unsavory the order, or how dangerous the task, his answer was always a show of respect. I can say all this now, and I wish that I had been able to tell him as much.

It’s time you all learned of his task. It was one of great importance, and not one that is enviable. He was to deliver the Ring of Chaos (gasps) to Mount Fate. But his first duty was to protect me. We were to leave today. To seal the power inside his body. And he was to…” She cried for a moment, but stiffened her face almost instantly. “He was to die. He was to destroy the ring, and become the terrible power’s physical host. It was then that he was to draw his dagger across his stomach and leap from the cliff…to end it’s horrible power…in effect, preventing a war that may not be winnable…”

Ekyt was standing in a familiar red area. He had died once before, only to be told he was being tested. He resented it at the time, but now wished THIS time was a test as well. Instead, he looked at his clothes. A white robe, tied with a black sash. White pants. He felt his head. No wound, and a piece of black cloth was around his head.

Everything was in order. He was to meet the “Final Council.” He had met one member, Aurora, a sweet girl who appeared sixteen, though she was far older. She had an interest in him, he guessed romantic.

Ekyt knelt down, somehow unafraid. Terribly sad, but not scared. Perhaps it was because guardians were trained to take death upright. As he knelt, mulling his feelings over, Aurora was the first to greet him. With a sad smile, she welcomed him.

Aurora: Welcome guardian.

Ekyt: Good to see you again Aurora. It’s a shame, the circumstances aren’t ideal…

Aurora: It’s good to see you, too. I witnessed your death…

Ekyt: I hope it was satisfactory (smiling)

Aurora: (laughs) Of course! Quite spectacular, though I’d expect nothing else from you.

Ekyt: Such high standards…I don’t suppose this is a test…

Aurora: (sadly) I’m afraid not guardian. This really is your final council…

Ekyt: Aurora, why is it called the “Final Council?” What’s there to discuss? The fact is Spectre was the better one the battlefield…

Aurora: I think you’ll find that there are those would disagree…Council; I summon you to come forth!

Three figures joined Aurora and Ekyt. Ekyt looked closely; he had to, they were all covered in white cloaks. Kneeling, Ekyt bowed. They removed their hoods one-by-one.
First was Steppenwolf, the first to assume the mantle of guardian. Then their was Edmund, Steppenwolf’s father, a great scientist. The last to remove the hood forced a reaction out of the ever-stoic Ekyt.

Ekyt: Poile-La!
Poile-La: Yes Guardian.

Ekyt: I apologize for my mission not being completed.

Poile-La: You have nothing to be sorry for…I could hardly ask for a better protector for my daughter.

Ekyt: (bow) And I could scarcely ask for higher praise…

Steppenwolf: Ekyt, it’s an honor to meet you. You were the first human guardian, something even the wisest of the Brotherhood, as well as our council, could not have forseen. Respect is certainly in order…

Ekyt: The honor is mine… (Bows again)

Steppenwolf: Your training took very well…Something that didn’t sit to well with your murderer…

Ekyt: He bested me…

Steppenwolf: No. He did not. I ask you to remove that thought from your head. You died with integrity, something he could never hope to have. It was your integrity that set you apart.

Ekyt: But it was my “integrity” that killed me!

Steppenwolf: Dying with honor is preferable to living in disgrace.

Ekyt: …

Steppenwolf: When my father created the guardian’s position, it was to protect Angel Island. Something ALL guardians have done, but few with the same vigor you displayed. And even less with the respect you showed.

Edmund: Death is a master we must all face guardian…However premature it may feel, death is final.

Ekyt: I understand. I failed Linda-Su, and death was the price I paid…I was bitter that I was rushed to a mastery I hadn’t earned…a mastery I never will earn…I may bear the crest of a guardian, but I don’t deserve it.

Poile-La: That is where we disagree with you.

Aurora: Yes. You see, dying honorably is high in our favor…

Edmund: And you were deemed for great things, no doubt. To have killed yourself as originally planned by our ancestors would have been foolish…and unnecessary…

Steppenwolf: Ekyt, it’s time for you to return.

Ekyt: But death is final…No matter how premature…

Steppenwolf: (smiles) We decide that…and we’ve decided you are to return. And you are to have a new chaos ability that will only show itself when the time is right.

Poile-La: Guardian, if I might ask a favor…give my daughter this package…and serve her to the REAL end…

Ekyt: (shocked) Of course…I will.

All: Then return, with out blessing!


A surge of white light struck Ekyt’s body. “What the hell!” Linda-Su exclaimed. Ekyt’s body was changing…the blood was disappearing, the wounds closing…his shirt mending itself. The whole hall gasped.

Ekyt sat up, a white cloak in his hands, the package from Poile-La on top. A few fainted, most were rubbing their eyes. Ekyt felt his body, not believing it himself. He felt a hand on his shoulder. Linda-Su had her hand on him, her eyes wide. “It’s really me.” he said, as surprised as she was.

“My God…I’ve never seen this…” Elias muttered. Linda-Su didn’t notice, instead she flung her arms around him. Forgetting herself, she kissed him rather passionately, much to his shock.

Linda-Su stopped kissing him, remembering her status, as well as his. “Thank you for all the loyalty…I hope that little token got my point across…” she said, smiling and blushing. He blushed himself. “I think I get your point. But right now, I’ve got to give you this, and then we should be on our way. By your orders…”

As Linda-Su opened the package, Ekyt was asked a million questions. About his death, about why he didn’t kill when he had the chance. About his chaos abilities. Why didn’t he use them? And what was death like? Ekyt answered patiently, before noticing Linda-Su giving him a strange look.

“Are you okay?” he asked her. “I’m just…I’m glad you’re alive.” She said shyly. “You know, you’re my best friend. Everyone thinks I’m this stuff heiress…” “I hardly think they’d believe that once they got to know you.” He said kindly, meaning every word. “I apologize for the…scene I caused…” she muttered. “It’s okay…That was kind of…my first kiss.” He admitted. They blushed in unison. “It meant a lot. Thank you.” He said, bowing with a smile. “The pleasure was mine.” She returned.

Suddenly all business again, Ekyt straightened his face. “Since you’ve taken to my robe, this will do. Let’s finish this mission.” “No.” she said defiantly. “I forbid you to complete this mission! I can’t let you die again!” she told him firmly. “I can’t promise you I won’t die, but I CAN promise you it won’t be by my own hand…The Final Council gave me a clue, and I think I’ve worked out the riddle…”

Comments

Comments (2)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

Flashthehedgehog on July 2, 2007, 8:57:37 PM

Flashthehedgehog on
FlashthehedgehogI should've guessed this would happen, good stuff!

alchemest1 on July 1, 2007, 3:43:45 PM

alchemest1 on
alchemest1Yay! He's not dead although his eulogy was very touching. I'm glad it wasn't necessary. Lol. Great chapter. The scene of his after death was brilliant. Well done!