Username   Password  
Remember   Register   |   Forgot your password?

Chapter 15 - CH XV: The Impossible Decision

My part for MrGimp's colab fic! Please let me know what you think!

Chapter 15 - CH XV: The Impossible Decision

Chapter 15 - CH XV: The Impossible Decision
Ekyt sat by the master emerald while Linda-Su explored the chamber. She pointed to six marks on the floor. “Ekyt, what happened here?” she asked. Ekyt didn’t need to look to see what she meant. “When Dmitri (Evil scientist echidna) tried to absorb the power of the twelve chaos emeralds that were used to hold Angel Island up, with the chaos syphon (A machine that sucks the energy out of the chaos emeralds) he created with his brother, Edmund (A great scientist and the one who created the position of “Guardian”), he miscalculated how much power the syphon could hold. It was supposed to lower Angel Island back to it’s roots on Mobius, but instead it overloaded. It had reached it’s limit in power…

(Flashback)

Edmund: Dmitri! In the name of reason!
Dmitri: Reason? Reason has HAD it’s day, brother! And besides…
(Everything starts to shake and collapse)
Dmitri: What has started…Cannot be undone!

???: It is true…Brother, you cannot hope to stop me!
Edmund: Dmitri? Stop this madness!
???: The power of eleven shattered chaos emeralds howl within me! I am immortal!
Edmund: Dmitri, we can help!
???: Dmitri has died, brother. He is replaced by a new being, infinitely powerful…so speaks ENERJAK!

(End Flashback)

Ekyt continued. “The burn marks are from eleven of the emeralds exploding, their power drained.” “And what happened to Enerjak? Did he die?” Ekyt looked up at this, a worried expression creasing his face. “No…He started the Dark Legion. They all worship him and his views that technology is superior… He’s still alive, he was banished to the Zone of Silence by one of the guardians, Tobor” Ekyt ended his story, looking over at Linda-Su, who was deep in thought. “I feel disgusting, being related to such a horrible being!” Ekyt didn’t know what to say, he had long disowned most of his own relations.

Linda-Su watched Ekyt work. He’s a nice guy…Perhaps I can have some fun with him… “Guardian, you do not mind calling me “master?” She asked innocently. “No…master.” The question seemed out of place. “Are you certain it doesn’t give you a thrill?” Ekyt raised an eyebrow. “Fairly certain master.” “It’s rather a turn-on, isn’t it?” Linda-Su was cracking up. She didn’t mean any of this, but Ekyt’s face was so red, and he was tripping over his own words as though unfamiliar with speaking. “Perhaps your mind isn’t on your work guardian…or is too much so.” This is hilarious! “Master, if you’ll pardon the query, what brought this up?” Linda-Su finally had to spill the beans. “I was simply teasing you Ekyt. You never relax.” It was part question, part observation. “No, I never have. I simply hope to do my job well master.” She rolled her eyes. “I can summon Archimedes whenever you are prepared.” Ekyt told her. “I’m ready. Thank you again for doing this.” “It’s my honor, master. I don’t wish to see you hurt. I could hardly have earned my title without resisting this wedding!” he replied. “I promise, your loyalty will not go unnoticed, and not un rewarded. Perhaps I could give you my sister as a wife.” Linda-Su said the last part with a laugh.

“Archimedes!” Ekyt whispered. Holding out his hand for the fire ant to appear in. BAMPF! He did. “What’s up kid?” “Could you summon the Brotherhood? It’s a matter of great importance.” Ekyt said. “Sure thing kid. Expect them in two minutes.” “Thank you Archimedes.”

Locke and Athair appeared. “You summoned us guardian? You have impeccable timing, as we need to speak with your master.” Locke said. Ekyt, who was bowing, led them to an area set up for sitting. Ekyt knelt, as was the custom.

“Let us hear your report, then we will exchanged problems.” Athair declared. “Linda-Su, what have you for us?” “The Dark Legion was not receptive to our help. We were attacked three times, one an attempt to kill me, one a session to torture Ekyt. He divulged nothing, though he paid a heavy price.” She pointed at his face, the knife mark apparent. “I see. If they do not wish out help, then we must stay out of it. We have warned them, that is all we can do. Now, onto the problems!” “Ours first, if you don’t mind.” Locke stated. “Please, continue Locke.”

“Very well. Since Spectre’s defection (They have since heard the story from the Final Council), and Poile-La’s death, we are in need of more support in Haven. A guardian willing to pull double duty. For that, we have chosen my son Knuckles.” Locke chanced a glance at Ekyt, who was kneeling and listening politely. Locke could read the human well. He did not like that…He had hoped for that position…He doesn’t understand all of it…

Also, we need another new member…Linda-Su, we’d like that to be you.” Linda-Su was stunned by the offer. “Of course…but, please…what happens to him?” she asked, pointing at Ekyt. “Ekyt would become the acting guardian, and lose his training status, since Knuckles would have to be in Haven a lot of the time.” Interesting…loyalty to a guardian…a human one at that? The path fate takes is like the forked tongue of the snake…each my be equally poisonous…What path will she take? Locke thought.

Linda-Su had a question. “Before I answer, I’d like to present my problem, as the two are intertwined.” “Proceed.” Athair said with a nod. “I would be forced to marry Mikhail…And he’s proven himself to be vile. Evil. Ekyt will vouch for me.” Ekyt nodded. “He tried to kill her with a bomb and by drowning.” He said simply. “Your marriage will be canceled should you join the council. If not, you must marry him.”

Linda-Su looked over at Ekyt. He nodded, giving her a small smile that reassured her. “I accept.” Linda-Su said. “Excellent. Consider your wedding canceled.” Everyone’s gaze turned to Ekyt, who was kneeling on the floor, listening, but not giving anything away. “Guardian, you are dismissed from your current mission.” Ekyt bowed his head, conveying that he understood.

Linda-Su was set to follow the Brotherhood. “I guess…that’s it then.” She said. “Certainly not! We’ll see each other again ma…Linda-Su.” An uncomfortable silence followed those words. “Locke, Athair, if I may have a few minutes with the guardian…” “Of course Linda-Su.” Locke said, understanding.

As soon as they were gone, Linda-Su turned to Ekyt. “I…I don’t know what to say.” She said. “The wedding was stopped. That’s what matters.” “What about you?” she asked, curious and saddened at the same time. “Guardians are mysterious creatures by nature…we lead a lonely life by choice, and are the sworn enemy of many a race. And myself worst of all…I don’t belong here Linda-Su. A human like me was never supposed to see this lush, green paradise. I was never meant to succeed, I guess.” He said with a rueful smile. “You will succeed! This isn’t the end of the world!” “No, it’s not. My world collapsed long ago.” He answered mysteriously. “Now what happens?” “I guard the emerald. Or, I would, if I wasn’t about to tell them I resign.”

“What?” Linda-Su squawked. “They rushed me to mastery. A title I don’t deserve. Other things…everything points to failure.” She noticed his stoicism failing him. “Just one time…I wish things could have worked out perfectly.”

“Locke, if I may have a word?” Ekyt asked, bowing. “Of course.” “Locke, I’m here to tell you of my resignation.” Locke had a difficult time hiding his surprise. “What brought this on?” “I didn’t earn my mastery level, and I can’t be sure I’ve earned any of this.” Ekyt replied. “And you can’t serve your master anymore.” Locke said, hands inside his sleeves. “I know there’s no point in lying to you Locke…I was in love with the girl…I still am. I don’t want to hold her back, and I don’t want a life I didn’t earn!” Locke nodded. “I refuse to accept your resignation. You will be guarding the emerald until my son relieves you.” Locke’s voice left no room for argument. A resigned Ekyt bowed, saying nothing. As he walked away, Locke said to himself “May Steppenwolf guide you lad…” The human had to figure it out on his own…

“They refused to accept my resignation. I’m not a guardian, I’m a prisoner.” Ekyt spat. “Damnit!” He broke a table by stomping on it. “Please, calm down!” Linda-Su asked. She was worried that he wouldn’t follow her orders; but it was needless worry. “I apologize.” Ekyt said with a small bow. Linda-Su hesitated, then hugged him. “Thank you. For everything. For protection, for loyalty…” She stroked his cheek, looking into his eyes. “…And for being a true friend. I hope you can forgive me for joining the council…and I hope you figure out your life.”

“You’re already forgiven for joining the council. As for figuring out my life…I’ll never forgive myself into being duped into taking a title that was never meant for me.” he shook his head in bitterness. Linda’s hand stayed on his cheek, the other wrapped around his slim waist. He had managed to do the same. “I really don’t want to not have you by my side…” She was now pressed as tight to him as she could be. “I enjoyed serving you…as much as one can enjoy serving.” He said with a hollow smile. Next their mouths met for one last kiss before they would have to go their separate ways…

“Linda-Su…wait…do you have the letters from your mother?!” Ekyt suddenly exclaimed. “Yes, I have yours and mine, why?” “Because I think I’ve just understood something…”

Comments

Comments (1)

You are not authorized to comment here. Your must be registered and logged in to comment

alchemest1 on July 4, 2007, 5:41:20 PM

alchemest1 on
alchemest1(growls in frustration) he never getts to be happy. Lol. And you ended in another cliff hanger. Not fair. Now i have to wait to find out what he discovered!(nips you in mock anger)